Professional Translation Certification – PTC
Professional Translation Certification (PTC) is a hands-on tailor-made programme to set fresh translators and potential professional translation seekers apart from the crowd and bring them eye to eye with the nuts and bolts of the translation industry. PTC showcases to current and potential employers and clients that you have a solid foundation of knowledge and know-how to wield a positive impact on bottom-line results and ensure professional target texts.
– An eye-opener, hands-on market-oriented translation course
– A step to prepare for the Palestinian Ministry of Justice Translation Certification Examination
– An opportunity to benefit from the experience of a team of 4 trainers
– A chance to meet professional guest speakers and engage them with industry insights
– A direction on how to approach job opportunities or freelance gigs locally and internationally
Who is the course for?
PTC is a guaranteed added value, but not limited to:
– Motivated newbie translators
– Translation graduates
– Freelance translators
– English Language or Literature graduates
– Interested English language teachers
– Translation enthusiasts
– Arabic Language graduates with fluent command of English
CLICK HERE for date of next course
- Type: Classroom
- Duration: 50 Hours
- Language Pair(s): English<>Arabic
Upon completion, the trainee will be better able to:
1. Identify research resources
2. Utilize technology tools to generate translated text
3. Translate more accurately and less literally
4. Critically proofread a translated text
5. Analytically defend one’s own translation
6. Translate from and into legalese
- Introduction of trainers and guest speakers
- House rules
- Kick-off assignment
- Research resources for translators
- Online search techniques for translators
- Hands-on dictionary use techniques for translators
- Expert advice
- Common paralinguistic mistakes
- 10 MS suite tips for translators
- Writing skills: simplicity, clarity and elegance
- Common errors and pet peeves
- Approaching a text
- Translation techniques
- Translation strategies
- Target text proofreading
- Pre-submission checklist
- Terminology building techniques
- Media translation
- Political translation
- Business translation
- Literary translation
- Legal Drafting
- Legal jargon
- How to become a MoJ certified translator
- CAT tools at a glance
- What to brand?
- Where to brand?
- How to locate and land jobs on local, regional and international markets
- 3-hour final assessment test
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
PTC is tailor-made to meet the needs of the labor market in the field of translation, it serves both experienced and inexperienced translators to elevate the translation skills. Accordingly, the prime focus of PTC is on professionalism. Safe to say that PTC is not a level-based but a competency-based training, it starts with boosting your research and analytical reading skills, utilizing your technological devices, building your terminology, and reaches to approaching translation as a process, the types of translation and the techniques of avoiding literal translation. PTC provides you with the appropriate reading plan that goes hand in hand with the topics discussed throughout the training course to foster your knowledge.
Bearing in mind that the translator usually gets in touch with a variety of documents, especially in case he/she works at the Palestinian labor market; the chances of getting a job opportunity as a specialized translator in one only field is little to none compared with the capacity of the market. Therefore, PTC gives the prime focus on the process, approaches, and stages of translation among a variety of topics. To list some: we focus on legal, commercial and social translation, so the first stage before getting to be specialized, and in introducing you to the steps upon which the translator gets to improve his/her skills in the desired topic.
Yes! The certificate is approved by the Ministry of Education and Higher Education. The goal of this training is to enable you to enter the labor market, and to that end, we at Ritaj offer our trainees two job opportunities if proved to have excellent performance throughout the training course.
Yes! PTC has a specified section that handles preparing and studying for the Palestinian Ministry of Justice Translation Certification Examination.
Yes, you are examined twice, once prior to the course, and once after.
No, you can only take the course by attending the sessions at Ritaj’s premises.
Yes, it is a requirement to have a BA degree in language, education, or in another related field.
Yes! The first job opportunity you will be met with is at Ritaj in the Department of Languages and Translation.
The trainers are professional and experienced translators and practitioners.
Passing a ~90 minute PTC Placement Test , prior to Applying
The minimum requirements needed to succeed in this training:
Very good command of Arabic and English
Strong professional development motivation
Basic computer and MS skills
To learn more fill the following form (English or Arabic) and a training consultant will call you: